Lexie Conyngham's Blog: writing, history and gardening.

Thursday 22 April 2021

Blog post by Allan Strachan, merchant

 


What, now? For pity’s sake!

Well, all right, five minutes. As long as no customer comes in – and they do, even on wet days like this one. Particularly the visitors staying across the Dee – they come into the village for a walk, admire the church, consider the green, remark on the pleasing regularity of the streets, and then they come in here and who knows what they might buy?

I aim to please as many of them as I can, of course. And with two shop boys and another two working with the cart I can have several attended to at once, deliveries made all about the three parishes, and even send for special goods from Aberdeen if a customer has a particular taste. Our range benefits from the convenience of the commutation road, the speed of the coaches and all other forms of communication: every day fresh stock arrives from near and far, whether food and drink – the freshest eggs unless you have your own hens - cloth and haberdashery, or hardware and fancy goods. See these? These came all the way from Christiania. They make the very best there and so that is what we stock, bringing it straight from the harbour at Aberdeen or Peterhead.

Local use? Of course the local people come in here all the time: we are not dependent on fleeting visitors. No, we have a long-standing reputation for supplying meat and dairy produce, spirits and wines, teas and coffees … If you wish to purchase seed, or farming tools – all made locally and perfect for our local conditions, of course – then you may pass through the alley and view all our farming and gardening goods there.

My father had this place before me. He was not an ambitious man, but he didn’t much mind when I began to put some of my ideas into practice before he had quite given the place up. His prices were sometimes unrealistic, and he could be over-generous with people who hadn’t the means to hand. You’re not doing your customer any favours if you encourage them to spend beyond their means: if there’s something they can’t pay for, likely they don’t need it anyway. I expect my accounts to be met promptly at the end of each month, with no exceptions. A man cannot meet his obligations to his family if he does not have a reliable income, and I promised my Bella when I offered her marriage that she should want for nothing. And I have kept that promise. A new and elegant house, the latest fashions, the best foods, all provided for her. No woman deserves it more.

Ah, my Bella – still the most beautiful woman in the three parishes. My poor dear Bella. She has borne me four children – all up and grown now, the daughters married to good and prosperous men – but I worry about her health. There is a melancholy about her. Of course she has had tragedy in her life, but I had hoped that I had helped her through that, and we have been, I believe, very happy in our marriage and our life together. She keeps busy, with church work and charitable work – she was brought up more gently than a merchant’s wife and her grace becomes her very well – and she is very friendly with the Misses Strong, with Mrs. Kynoch in particular, and now with Mrs. Napier, the doctor’s wife, all of which help her to occupy her mind and her hands, so the melancholy perplexes me. I had thought of asking Dr. Napier for his thoughts on the matter but – but – but what? He is too close, perhaps? He worked with Dr. Durward, my late friend. He is very young, and he is just a village physician. I think about taking my dear wife to Edinburgh, perhaps, to see one of the best physicians, perhaps one who makes a particular study of melancholy. One of my daughters has married an Edinburgh doctor, so perhaps he could recommend someone. But would my dear Bella consent to go and be examined? I am not sure, and I fear causing her to withdraw even further if she thought I were pressing her into something she did not quite like.

There, I have said more than I intended to – enough! There’s a watery sun coming out, I’m sure of it, and it will not be long now until we are busy again. Cuthbert, go and dry off the window! Al, have the mop ready for the floor – the ladies will not like mud on their hems. Now, if you have nothing more on which to waste my time, can I interest you in this very fine tawny velvet, straight from Paris? It would be the perfect cloth for a snug spencer for the winter – ideal here in the colder weather. And the price is surprisingly reasonable!

No comments:

Post a Comment