Lexie Conyngham's Blog: writing, history and gardening.

Thursday 8 April 2021

A Knife in Darkness - why start a new series?

 


I began a new series afraid that Murray was aging too fast! I knew I couldn’t stop writing so I had to distract myself with something else. But what? It was hard to decide when and where to begin. I was drawn very much to Ballater, the excitement of Royal Deeside and all the scientific advances of the Victorian age, but also to what went before it in this beautiful and relatively sleepy part of Scotland.I had read about the Muckle Spate, the great flood of 1829, and the effect it had had on Ballater. Then Ballater was flooded again, and I wanted to do something to help. So all the profits from this and the second book, for several years, went to the locally administered Ballater Flood Fund.

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that Ballater still needs some flood abatement work. I worked at FEMA in disaster registration and assistance- it can be complicated. Good for you for helping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly does, but they're working on it! Good luck with your own work.

    ReplyDelete