
Alis Hawkins, A Bitter Remedy: I’ve always
been fascinated by Welsh as a language, and had a nice little chat on
linguistics with this author when I met her at Shetland Noir, so I was
intrigued to read this book about a forceful Welsh woman in (but not quite at)
Oxford in the late 19th century. She has befriended a number of
academics, including Charles Dodgson and the more fictional Basil Rice, but is
hampered by her chaperone, a kinswoman called Lily, and her own attitude. Nevertheless she is
determined to help when a student at the college she is most familiar with dies
in mysterious circumstances. I love the portrayal of Rice’s general awkwardness
and Tarley Askew’s quiet courtship of Non, who still talks to her long-dead
twin sister.

Sue Tort, Witness a Killing: while this is
in need of some apostrophe therapy, and a heavy dose of comma medicine, it’s
off to a good start with an ex-copper, wanting to turn tennis coach, finding a
body and being asked to investigate. Of course the locals resist and encourage
in equal measure. I wouldn’t call this a cosy, as such, but his dog does get
involved and his next door neighbour has quite a personable cat. The story has
a good atmosphere and entertaining characters but it really does need someone
who knows about punctuation to give it a look-over! And the word is
narcissistic.

Louise Mangos, Confessions of a Crime Writer:
This is horribly amusing, written from the perspective of Nigel Inchcock, a
pathetic man convinced he’s irresistibly attractive and also moments away from being discovered as a brilliant
crime writer. Though horribly impoverished, through his own determination to
write for a living, he manages to get to Iceland Noir and Harrogate, thoroughly
embarrassing himself on the way, before he meets an actual dead body and
everything starts to go very wrong. An excruciating and very funny read, with a
cleverly constructed plot.

F.M.H. Macdonald, Lewis Amnesia: I picked
this up as a local book to read on holiday, but I think I might go back for the
others in the series. The narrator is Helen, and she’s the kind of person that
makes you feel you might be managing better than you think you are. She’s a
locum doctor back on Lewis trying to deal with an alcohol and tobacco problem,
a difficulty finding the right man, and a dreadfully disorganised life – and
all that is before the murders start. It’s a good yarn set in the 1970s, and
the pace is excellent. The story behind the crimes, though, is much more
shocking than I had expected from the tone up to that point. The cover is sweet!

Colin Green, Trust: I succumbed to this
because of the rugby/police crossover, but actually there does not seem to be
that much rugby in it. There is a great deal of police procedure in it – maybe
a touch too much for fiction, and also a lot of conversation that is reported
rather than written, taking away from the immediacy and leaving it a little
slow, but still quite interesting.

Vaseem Khan, Quantum of Menace: All right, I’m a Bond fan, and
indeed a Q fan, and I was itching to read this as soon as I heard about it,
being also a Vaseem Khan fan. And it did indeed live up to expectations – a
satisfying murder mystery, developing Q as a character, with some nice little
references to his work with the Double Os, his friend James Bond, and his
relationship with Moneypenny (very nice!). Combining Albanian crime gangs with
the cosy end of the spectrum this is still well handled and I look forward to
the next one.

A.K. Nairn, The Trail of Blood: This one grabbed me straightaway,
for some reason. It’s the same kind of setting as Patricia Chisholm’s books,
the debatable lands (well, the eastern version of them) between England and
Scotland in the 16th century. This time it’s told from the Scottish
side but with a main character who is French. It is resonant with the
priorities of the period and the plot weaves all kinds of possible motives
together: it moves along smartly and though it lacks the humour of some other
books with this setting, it’s still intriguing and appealing.
No comments:
Post a Comment