Lexie Conyngham's Blog: writing, history and gardening.

Thursday 19 March 2020

Author interview with Caroline Dunford





















Today we're lucky enough to have an chat with Caroline Dunford, author of the very successful Euphemia Martins series which kicks off just before the First World War. This is the launch day for the latest Euphemia, Death at the Races!

Caroline, welcome! The Euphemia series is huge, and now there's a spin-off, too, the Hope Stapleford series. I'm only on Death in the Loch! I may never catch up, which is quite a good feeling  - there's always be more to read! I think you've said that your Euphemia books are based on a story from your own family history - would you like to tell us more?

The Euphemia Martins Mysteries aren’t autobiographical, although they were inspired by events in my own family. I woke up one night after dreaming of my great grandmother, who I had never met, and the stories of the first three Euphemias simply fell into place. Fortunately, I keep a notebook by the bed and was able to write the ideas down.

In the books, when Euphemia’s father, who is a vicar, dies, she becomes a maid to help support her family, even though her mother is the (estranged) daughter of an Earl. There are some parallels with my own family.

That's fascinating, if rather sad - families can be very tough. Getting back to the fiction, though, the historical period you've chosen is a pretty rich one, with lots going on and plenty of extant sources - how do you do your research, and how, if at all, do you keep it contained? Do you find it hard to stop the research and start the writing, or is it the other way around?

Both of my parents were children in London during the Blitz of WWII so talk of war was not uncommon during my childhood. Both of my grandfathers also served. My maternal grandfather was a spotter in WWI (he was a lot older than his wife) and often spoke to my mother about aspects of that war. So, I’ve always felt that both world wars strongly affected my own family. My interest in the wars has only minimally been about the actual fighting, my fascination is how people coped, how ordinary people lived in extraordinary times. Some faced them with great bravery and courage, while others crumpled under the sheer weight of war. 
 The conversations I’ve had had with relatives started my interest, but I’ve also read a lot of historical reference, as well as literature of the period, covering both world wars, which has given me a lot of insight into the people who lived then. And, yes, like most authors, I’m not above Googling the occasional piece of information that I can’t ferret out elsewhere. The internet is an incredible resource for writers, but it’s important to verify sources and also not to disappear down a rabbit hole of research.

 I’m currently exploring medicine in WWI for a future Euphemia (A Death in the Hospital) and I’m finding it far too fascinating. When I’m writing, all I want to do is write and when I’m researching, all I want to do is research. The only way I can manage deadlines is by working out strict word deadlines and keeping to them.
 I write notes in hard-backed notebooks in an attempt not to lose them. But I also have a scattering of papers and books that range out in ever increasing circles from around my desk.

I’d also recommend, for anyone who can reach it, Eden Camp war museum in the north of England, which I love. There is a deluge of information as well as interactive elements, lifelike displays and ex-army and air force vehicles. Best of all, it in no way glorifies war, but instead records with pinpoint accuracy these pivotal moments in our history both at the front and at home.

I must go! I love military museums. What drew you to writing - and why crime?

 I started off writing short stories and selling them. Most of them were either fantasy or horror. I tried to write a full-length fantasy story, but even I knew it wasn’t very good. Eventually, it occurred to me to write what I truly loved reading - crime. I’m not overly keen on police procedural stories, but I do love good stories with intriguing puzzles which examine human nature under pressure. During war, and with sudden loss, the trappings of society fall away. What is left is the true nature of people. There is nowhere to hide and both characters and readers can be challenged to consider what is at the heart of the human condition - what is right and what is wrong. I’m not offering any glib answers, but I do love making readers think about awkward questions that arise both in fiction and in real life.

Are you a full-time writer, or do you do other things?

I do some very part-time lecturing, as a Teaching Fellow in a department of ongoing learning within Edinburgh University. I’m keen on actively learning new skills and I like to share that enthusiasm. I love working with new and emerging writers of all ages. Currently I teach creative writing and freelance journalism, but it’s very much a side-line to my writing. I do consider myself to be a full-time writer, and it is my primary means of income. However, I think it is very important to not sit and simply write. To improve my writing, I feel I need to spend a reasonable amount of time living a life, and not simply making one up for my characters. 

Have you any hobbies that help your writing? or that help you escape from writing?

 I rarely escape from my writing. It definitely benefits my mental health to write. I use my stories to ask questions, explore choices and hopefully create memorable characters. Those characters are in my head almost all of the time. Many of them are so strong that they seem to have an active influence on what happens in the stories - sounds a bit mad, I know. Fortunately, I find this to be a common thing with many authors that I know.

Yes, we're all at least a bit mad!

 However, I do spend my Wednesday evenings at a silver jewellery making class. There I wallow in blow torches, mild acids, anvils, hammers, burnishers, files and solder. It’s one place I can’t daydream about my writing without incurring the occasional injury. This means I can stop the internal chatter of my stories for at least two hours a week. I also end up making pretty, shiny things too, which is a definite bonus.

That sounds wonderful! It's a craft I haven't tried yet.

 I also enjoy cooking, and baking. Although I use recipe books for inspiration, I am a very much a see-what-I-have-and-make-stuff-from-it kind of cook. Currently I am enjoying a foray into Middle Eastern cooking with lots of lime, sumac, fresh coriander, ras al hanout and almond yoghurt. 

That's very on-trend - and it's giving me ideas for dinner this evening! Anyway, new book out today - where can people find you and your books?

Earlier this year Hachette launched the first of a new series with Hope for the Innocent. This is set shortly before WWII and will continue during the outbreak of war. It follows descendants of the Euphemia Martins Mysteries series, with the occasional cameo from characters of those books.
 The Euphemia Martins series is continuing. The new book, A Death at the Races, and Euphemia and Fitzroy driving across Europe to Monaco. It’s double the length of the previous Euphemia novels (but the same price) as I’m stepping up the length of all future stories with Hachette’s approval.

 All books are available from Amazon, and from the Hachette website , but you can also find them in your local bookstores or have your bookstore order them. All books are available in ebook and paperback forms. The Euphemia Martins books are also available from most libraries in hard back and large print. There are also audio books available too.

Oh, and I have a website https://caroline-dunford.squarespace.com/  Every Friday I post an extract from Spymaster Fitzroy’s diaries – and these are free! There will be a link to the latest extract at the bottom of the home page and then you can go back and read all the previous ones. Although, be warned, while there are no spoilers, they are not in chronological order.



I’m on twitter as @verdandiweaves

That's wonderful, Caroline - lots and lots to read! Thanks for dropping in and good luck with the new release!

No comments:

Post a Comment